International Day for People with Disabilities

It is nice to think that around the world people will be celebrating and embracing differences, perhaps being a little more open-minded than usual.

I would write some deep, insightful blog entry in honour of the day.

I would....

Only my disability got in the way.

So instead of doing some awesome disability awareness stunt, I shall be spending my day: doing physio, having a shower and pacing* like a professional to keep my heart rate under control and my conciousness level high.

Perhaps next years event will involve slightly less sofa and a little more excitement.

Having said that, looking back, sometimes just in the process of managing our own conditions we educate others.




*pacing: the art of balancing what you need to do with body's limitations, attempting to walk the thin line between over-doing and under-doing, trying to build my strength without sapping it. Involves frequent rest breaks in even simple tasks.

(added as an after-thought: Perhaps next year I could do some 'International Day of People with Disabilities' stickman greetings cards. Would people be interested?)

Comments

  1. Take care Hannah! Hope you feel much better soon.

    All the Very Best
    Lesley

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment, but please note that any offensive or inappropriate comments - including advertising - will be moderated.