Launch of Welly Walks and Biscuit Baking


Photo by Nicole French, 2011

Launch Date: 22nd October 2011
Time: 2:00-3:30pm
Venue: Willowcroft Community School, Mereland Road, Didcot, OXON, OX11 8BA
Books: Welly Walks and Biscuit Baking by Hannah Ensor
With balloons, book sales (my other books will be on sale too) facepainting, bubbles, book signing and more.
Also attended by Fran Williamson: Five-time World Champion Swimmer and six time Paralympic medallist.

2 children’s books. So what? What makes these so special?

1.    The illustrations are unique. Clear, joyful, simple and alive. And so are the stories.
Who’d have thought stick people could be so expressive? The biggest challenge is not grinning whenever you see them.

2.    They include disabled children without being about disabled children.
Plenty of books about disability for 2-5 year olds, but how many can you find about fun which just happen to feature a disabled child? The balance is being addressed.

3.    They raise £1 per book for Whizz-kidz (charity no 802872)
Who help children enjoy fun and full childhoods, get the right wheelchairs for them at the right time, and learn the skills they need – all without pity or patronisation. With loads of input from the kidz themselves, it is run with humour, respect, positivity, professionalism and cheek. A charity after my own heart.

4.    And each book has a special feature ....................
It is the same feature in every book, but also different! My nieces and nephew who pre-viewed my books wanted to see this charming and unexpected facet of my books over and over again.

That’ll keep you guessing!

I still can’t quite believe the responses I’ve had from the adults who have seen them. They pick it up and within seconds they smile, often progressing to 'laugh out loud'. What greater compliment could they give? If the fun these stickmen children have is so contagious, maybe the message that disabled people are just people will catch on with equal ease.

Photo by Nicole French, 2011

So here’s to helping change the world, a little at a time. Starting next Saturday.

(Pre-ordering available from the publisher 2QTWHSmiths,and other similar places. I have been told that Amazon is taking a long time to process orders.)

Comments

  1. Hooray, and many congratulations! I'm going to order a copy for my wheelie kid and her sister. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello,
    I have been looking for books just like yours and I've added them to the list on my blog post where I chronicle my search: (http://melitasmilovic.blogspot.com/2011/07/why-are-books-showing-children-with.html)

    Thanks for your wonderful and funny books.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment, but please note that any offensive or inappropriate comments - including advertising - will be moderated.